Sunday, November 20, 2011

Wart, Future King of England

Just got back from CTN in Burbank. Had a great time, mingling with animation students and professionals. Kudos to Tina Price, she rocks for putting this expo together.
On a late Sunday night, here are images that show design ideas for Wart from
"Sword in the Stone". At the end of that film Wart is crowned to be the future king of England. As far as making this situation visually entertaining, several artists knew there could be fun in showing young Wart wearing a crown on his head that doesn't fit him. I am not sure who drew the first two sheets, the style reminds me of Bill Peet and Vance Gerry.
The following drawings are by Milt Kahl. I never quite understood why Milt 's only screen credit for character design was "Sword in the Stone". Considering all the design work he did for other movies, it seems like an oversight.
As you can see, Milt based his studies for an oversized crown for Wart on earlier 
sketches. And this is typical for how he worked. He looked at drawings that had been done by other artists, and then he refined those ideas and polished them.
The last image was drawn for Ollie Johnston, who animated these final scenes in
the movie.
Disney team work in action.







8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Andreas,
    I just want to say that was amazing to meet you today and had the oportunity to talk with you. Thank you for all the attention and to be so nice with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andreas, thnx for brining out this wonderful aspect of the magical studio .. the team work ! and very nicely shown to us from skethces to final drawings ...cools ... thnx again for your generous info for us all ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had a good time at CTN! I heard about it; a few of my friends went to it this weekend. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to, but with any luck I'll be able to go to LA for an animation "tour" sometime in December while I'm still in California.

    I really like the sketch with crown around his neck in the second image! It's just really cute. It really is amazing how well they worked as a team. Though I guess it's a little encouraging to remember that there's a lot of behind the scenes work and the final drawings didn't pop out of heads fully formed. Do you know if there was any significance to the paper he was using to hold it up or if it was just any piece of paper stuck in there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, now I wish I went to CTN, I went last year, I should have gone this year, I could have seen you there this time, Andreas. You're my favorite animator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Andreas!
    Just wanted to say how great it was running into you again at CTN!
    And yes you definitely did keep your word about starting up a blog to share your amazing collection! :)

    All the best from Jessika and myself!
    http://www.cale.ca/images/blog/andreas_us.jpg

    I'll definitely keep watching the blog and can't wait for more updates on your personal short as well!

    Cheers!
    Cale

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,

    It was great time seeing you speak at CTN! I was volunteering, and couldn't get away to say a quick hi. Though I just wanted to say thank you for having this blog, and reminding me why I love Animation so much.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow... Somehow, O am reminded of Hiccup from How to Train Your Dragon. I love both dudes. :D I love your posts, man. :)

    ReplyDelete